Pet Calendar: National Dog Day (Aug. 26)Larry Kay
Pet Calendar: National Dog Day (Aug. 26)
Let’s bark about it! Friday, August 26 is National Dog Day! At the Positively Woof Headquarters, we believe that every day is Dog Day! Officially, though, “National Dog Day is celebrated August 26th annually and was founded in 2004 by Pet & Family Lifestyle Expert and Animal Advocate, Colleen Paige. ” Paige also founded National Puppy Day, National Mutt Day and National Cat Day and many more philanthropic days to bring attention to the plight of animals and encourage adoption.
Why August 26?
It’s significant because it’s the date Colleen’s family adopted her first dog when she was ten-years-old. (read more below video)
What can you do to celebrate dogs on August 26, National Dog Day?
Here are some ideas:
- Adopt a dog from a shelter or rescue
- Perform a safety check of your home to assure if there is an emergency that your pets will get out safely
- Make a donation of food, blankets and toys or other items on your local shelter’s wish list
- Take the day off and spend it doing whatever it is your dog loves the best
- Brush your dog
- Buy him or her a new toy
- Host a National Dog Day party and invite your dog’s best doggie friends!
We’d love to know how you’re going to celebrate the day. Share it with us on our Positively Woof Facebook page.
See our annual Pet Calendar here.