Pet Calendar ~ August 15 ~ National Check The Chip Day
August 15 ~ National Check The Chip Day
(Read more below)
August 15 is Check the Chip Day
As a pet owner, you want to do all you can to keep your pet safe from harm. For many pet parents that means microchipping their pets — cats and dogs. According to AVMA and the American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA), microchips “greatly increase the chance that pets will be reunited with their families if they are lost or stolen.” It’s important to remember, though that this is only true if the registration information on your pet’s microchip is accurate and up-to-date.
What should pet owners do?
According to AVMA and AAHA:
- Make an appointment with your veterinarian for microchipping if your pet isn’t already microchipped (then make sure that your pet’s chip is immediately registered).
- Check your already-microchipped pet’s registration information in the microchip manufacturer’s database, and make sure it’s up-to-date.
How to update your pet’s microchip registration
- You’ll need the pet’s microchip number
- Log in and check that all information is accurate
- Register your pet’s microchip with its manufacturer and with the AAHA’s Universal Pet Microchip Lookup Tool. Many microchip registries are also linked to the AAHA Universal Pet Microchip Lookup Tool to make it easier to find a microchip’s registration.
Microchipping can help bring your pet home if he or she escapes whether on a road trip, on vacation or by slipping out of the door at your home.
Check out the rest of our August Pet Calendar and pet holidays here.
Don’t forget to plan ahead with our Annual Pet Calendar at a Glance here.
Pet Calendar: Take Your Dog To Work Day: Click “Next” below!
is the award-winning coauthor of Training the Best Dog Ever
, which became a #1 best seller in dog training on Amazon Kindle. He is Leader of the Pack at Positively Woof
, which helps shelter dogs get adopted by making videos and raises awareness and funds. Larry is an award-winning dog filmmaker and has been a frequent contributor to the American Animal Hospital Association and Dog Fancy