By Robbi Hess ~ Managing Editor Pet Calendar, Crimeless Cat Executive Story Editor, Chief Cat Herder
Today, March 28, is National Respect Your Cat Day. When I told mine they hardly even gave me a “meh.” Why? Because they know every day is a day for them to be respected… or face the wrath of their claws!
Not really, my kitties are lovable and love having their bellies rubbed. They love playing fetch with rolled up paper and with stuffed mice. They also love to snuggle in bed with me at night. It’s a mutual respect, I think.
If you’re wondering how to celebrate National Respect Your Cat Day, here are a few ways in which you can do just that. Your cat may thank you for it… or maybe not!
Pet Calendar: National Respect Your Cat Day
First off, WHY should you respect your cat?
- They are great companion animals, love kids and make a house a home.
- They are empathetic pets and sense the emotions of their pe parents. Many times, your cats will be even more affectionate when you’re feeling blue.
- Cats. Are. Funny. Sure, cats try to be above the shenanigans of dogs, but they are silly, funny and playful. They will chase imaginary dust motes, fall off of chairs (and pretend they meant to do it) and be a humorous furry friend.
Ways to show your cat respect, today and every day
- Buy them, or if you’re crafty, make them a new toy. Cats love a new catnip mouse or feather on a string or better yet, a new scratching post. Pamper them.
- Spend some additional snuggle time with your cat today. It will help your bond grow even stronger.
- Learn to better connect with your cat. Does she love her ears rubbed? Rub them! Does she hate to have her ears rubbed but loves a shoulder rub? Rub the shoulders, avoid the ears. Read your cat’s body language and give ’em what they want!
How will you respect your cat?