Pet Calendar: Social PETworking Month
By Robbi Hess ~ Managing Editor Pet Calendar, Crimeless Cat Executive Story Editor, Chief Cat Herder
Yes, you read that right, social PETworking — a take on NETworking that us humans do, but this is focused on pet lovers using the power of social media to help adoptable pets find their forever homes.
We’ll bet that you spend time on social media, right? Facebook? Twitter? Instagram? SnapChat? If you’re like most of our friends and fellow pet lovers, we know you’re on social and you’re talking with your friends, sharing photos of your beloved pets, your favorite doggie or kitty treat recipe and the latest DIY project you did.
When you’re online and on your social media pages this month (well, any month) could you use your social media conversations to help save the life of a shelter pet?
How can you help promote Social PETworking month?
- Search your local shelter for photos of adoptable pets and share them on your social media pages
- Visit your local shelter and ask if you could take photos that you could share
- Include something interesting about that pet. Make the share fun and engaging. Show the dog or cat having fun, smiling at the camera, playing with a toy. We’ve seen unique social shares that make the pet and his write up sound like a dating profile: Handsome dog, who loves long walks on the beach, rolling in dead fish and playing fetch seeks forever home with a comfortable couch and access to laps and snuggles! Make the photo fun.
- Challenge yourself and your friends to share a photo of a pet a day — do it for a week, or the month of June… or even longer!
- Are you on Pinterest? If so, set up an adoptable pet board and share photos of adoptable pets there.
- If you have a website or a blog, write a blog post about social PETworking month and also consider writing a blog post or sharing a photo of adoptable pets on your blog regularly.